If you want to create something fun and exciting with your child, you can do so by creating your very own guitar. This won’t be a wooden guitar, but it will be an affordable, easy-to-make box guitar that your kids will love.
- Rubber bands (6)
- Colored tape (or duct tape)
- Decorative paper
- Shoebox (kid-size)
- Paper towel tube
- Dry cleaner tube
How to Make a Cardboard Box Guitar in 6 Steps
- Cover the shoebox, lid and paper towel tube with decorative paper. Make sure the paper is fun and exciting.
- Cut an oval in the center of your lid to be used as the “hole” that the strings go over when the guitar is played.
- Place the tube on the table against the short side of the box. Center the tube along the bottom center of the box and trace a circle around the tube using a marker.
- Draw one horizontal and one vertical line down the middle of the circle. Cut the lines with a utility knife and slide the tube through the created hole.
- Stretch your rubber bands around the length of the box and lid (over the oval hole). You can tape or glue the lid in place if you wish.
- Use dry cleaner tubing to create elevation for your strings (rubber bands). Place the tube above and below the oval you cut earlier and glue them in place.
Now you have your guitar ready to be played. Simply strum away at the strings and get started. While this obviously is not going to be a Gibson guitar or a Stratocaster, this will be a fun and easy project that kids of all ages will be able to do.
The best part is that you can now decorate the guitar any way you please.
Let your mind go crazy with possibilities. Draw designs, use colored or textured paper, or let your kids decorate their guitars the way they like best.